Window or door blinds are commonly known to open or shut in a horizontal manner. Certain situations however, require blinds that open from one side to another, like a curtain or a side sliding window or door. In such special cases, vertical blinds can be installed just as easily as any horizontal ones.
The vertical or curtain blind, also known as Lamellae, gives any room a fuller, more spacious appearance and is ideal for large, sliding or swinging, windows and doors. At the same time, it is also ideal for small, compact spaces of urban Singaporean apartments or offices. The other special ability of a vertical blind is its command over light. Due to its vertical spread, one can block out the sun in a certain part of the room while allowing light into another part, better with a vertical blind than any other.
Vertical blinds can either slide open from one side to another or then the slats can be rotated to let in as much light, whenever desired. Apart from being functionally adept and elegant, vertical blinds are popular for their wide variety of colours, patterns and designs. Their versatility has led them to be adopted by homeowners to cover various fixtures such as large glass panels, balcony door and windows.
Types of Slat Material for Vertical Blinds
- Faux wood/Wood – Faux wood and wooden slats are popular for vertical blinds as they offer an attractive texture. The wood can be tinted or stained into matching shades. Faux wood is lighter than regular wood.
- Solar screen – These are modern options in slats and are made of material that allows one to look through yet be protected by harmful UV rays. They are available in varying opacity, easy to maintain and durable.
- Standard fabrics and materials – Common fabrics such as cotton, nylon or silk can be utilized for vertical blinds. These materials are light and quiet when operating. Vinyl, polyesters or PVC can also be used for these blinds. Any of these fabrics or materials can be decorated or embossed for enhanced aesthetic beauty.
Operating mechanisms of vertical blinds
- Sliding Mechanism – With this, the blinds can be moved aside to one side completely, allowing one to open the door or window behind it.
- Turning Mechanism – This turns the blind slats to allow in light when turned or block it when flat, as per preference.
Both these mechanisms are delicate so require careful handling. In the sliding mechanism, the wire that connects all individual slats can get cut or damaged preventing the blind from sliding open. So when handling the sliding mechanism, one needs to use a gentle touch, as it only requires a smooth manoeuvre. In the turning function, all the slats need to be facing the same direction for them turn in a synchronised manner. So make sure that they all are in the right position before you begin turning them and your vertical blinds will glide beautifully and last longer.
Apart from these lookouts, vertical blinds are quite easy to clean and maintain. They are also economical and practical. However, in case you require any further information on your individual vertical blind needs, please feel free to contact our friendly sales staff who’d be happy to assist you.